Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

No animals were harmed in the reading of this novel.
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams, 1979, Harmony Books.  Genre: SciFi. 215 pages.  Finished 4/25/2012.

LesOpinion: I graduated with a degree in English Literature without ever having read Moby Dick.*  This fact is perhaps less surprising than the fact that, as an avid teenage reader, I never read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Which is too bad.  Because I would have liked it then.  I would have thought it clever.  Now I read it and think that it's trying to be clever, which isn't the same thing as actually being that way.  It is also possible that this spoof on science fiction didn't appeal to me simply because I haven't read enough science fiction to make spoofing sporting. 


*I rectified my Moby Dick-lessness in 2006.

2 comments:

babs said...

So happy to see that you are no longer Moby Dick-less.

I read HHGTG about a year ago because one of my students thought it was just "so amazing amd funny." I felt the same way that you did. I thought I would have liked it as a kid.

I'm so glad you're writing again. You've been missed. Does the new library have better books than the Conway Library? Life is too short to read bad books!

Les said...

Here's the good news, babs, one of your students READ A BOOK!

I suspect that the S. White Dickinson Memorial Library does not exceed the Field Memorial Library in the quality of its fictional literature. But that also means that I can take great pleasure in being snarky about the crappy stuff while being pleasantly surprised by the good stuff. Plus, I've promised myself to take occasional breaks in Quest reading to read new/good books.